I am a huge fan of High Intensity Interval Training. It’s effective and it’s extremely efficient. I don’t know about you but I don’t have a lot of extra time. Life can be so busy! So when it comes to exercise I want it to get great results, be fun and not take a lot of time. This is why I use H.I.I.T. exclusively for all my group coaching programs and incorporate it into my bootcamps. Everyone gets a great workout (no matter their fitness level), they feel great and they love that didn’t need to commit to a 60-minute class multiple times a week.
Here are 7 reasons to love HIIT:
- 1. More fat burned in less time and the fat burning is stoked for the following 24 HOURS! Score!
- A great way to boost your metabolism. Why is this? H.I.I.T. boosts a wonderful thing called Human Growth Hormone. I like to call this our own Fountain of Youth. We all have the ability to produce more and H.I.I.T. can increase it by 450% for 24 hours post workout.
- Weight loss not muscle loss. Unlike steady state cardio, HIIT allows for preservation of muscle.
- No equipment needed and can be done anywhere. There’s nothing stopping you from getting in a great, effective workout. My clients say Prime Fitness H.I.I.T. classes help them get in an even better workout through the encouragement of the instructor (that’d be me).
- Improved endurance. See this study which shows subjects were able to bicycle twice as long, at the same pace after 8 weeks of training.
- ANYONE can do H.I.I.T. because high intensity is a more relative term than one might think. A beginner’s high intensity will look entirely different than a seasoned athlete but both are getting the same benefits.
- H.I.I.T. workouts should only be done at most 3 times per week. Even doing 2 a week will produce results in a previously sedentary person.
I could go on with the benefits of High Intensity Interval Training! But I think these 8 are pretty dang good! Have I convinced you to add this into your weekly routine? You can get great value out of a 10-15 minute H.I.I.T. workout. You just need to go ALL OUT. That’s key with H.I.I.T. You MUST go all out. Whatever that means for you. You should be out of breath. Your muscles should start to burn. You should feel wiped out at the end of your set. There are many types of H.I.I.T. routines. Prime Fitness has two kinds: 30 seconds of hard core work followed by 90 seconds of active rest repeated 8 times (each set is unique) and the other uses two exercises in which you go for 30 seconds on one and immediately go another 30 seconds on the other for 4 rounds (no rest for 4 minutes). There are many other ways to go about it. Another option is 20 seconds on/10 seconds off, 8 rounds and repeat for 8 exercises (all body weight or you can use weights if their available). And another is performing only 5 exercises, at a very, very slow pace where you keep constant load on the muscles and you perform each exercise to failure.
Whatever High Intensity option you choose….you will get a great workout, in very little time and do your body a whole lot of good. Start H.I.I.T. TODAY! Prime Fitness offers classes 8 times a week. Join virtually or in-person in Pleasant Hill, CA. For more information click here to be taken to our HIIT information page. New clients get a FREE class to try it out.